Thursday, August 1, 2013

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

From classism to racism all of the isms are wrong. The differences in the values and behaviors among poor people are just the same as wealthy people (Gorski, 2008). Every appearance of disability is an image and is made in the social act of appearance (Titchkosky, 2009). What I have learned this week is I do have a challenge understanding certain homeless people and this fall under “classism”. I have realized I do tend to judge a book by cover and I need to take the time to open the book to see what is inside. I never thought I did this in the past. I have always had the attitude of we are all the same. Some people really do chose to be homeless and it is a life choice and I should not judge. Classism is instilled in my history and my values and this can keep me from seeing each person as a unique, whole person that deserves my respect, regardless of how they live (Derman-Sparks, & Edwards, 2010). This was not taught to me it was a learned behavior.
   My brothers living the way they do have contributed to my attitude toward the homeless. They are both on drugs and everyday they “pan handle” to buy their drugs and their alcohol. I did not realize I discriminated towards the homeless until I started my early childhood development courses through Walden University. No all people that are homeless chose to be this way, however some do. In my brothers case I feel it is a choice, however there are many other underlying addictions that contribute to their feelings of wanting to be homeless. This makes it hard for me to help the homeless like my brothers. When people ask me for money, I would rather buy them food instead, this way I feel I am not contributing to whatever addiction they might have. I need to change my attitude towards this because not all homeless people are addicts, they are asking for money to feed their families or many other various reasons.
   I need to learn how to accept the fact that there are people hurting on the streets that just need our help and after all they are human beings. I know the economic recession has forced many people out of their homes, and they just need a hand in finding a job, shelter, and a place to live. We are currently in an economic crisis and there are many people who take advantage of the system from the big businesses taking enormous bail outs to the other end of the spectrum where citizens fell a sense of entitlement. Those with alcohol and drug challenges should receive treatment, so that they can find jobs and a place to live, but they have to want it first. I cannot forget the numerous homeless people who are mentally challenged and the war veterans. Homelessness is definitely a problem in this country. However, I feel that drug use is the major cause of being homeless.
   I know first hand how difficult it can be to be homeless and I need to become more empathetic on their situations no matter what the cause is. Needless to mention helping people out of their unfortunate situations will not only help the individuals, but it will help the community lower crime rates. If we can help the homeless by empowering them with the necessary tools needed to overcome homelessness we will in turn be able to use more of the governments money towards education and making our communities better. If people can work, they can pay taxes. They can also make the community better by keeping up their homes and apartments. By helping the homeless the crime rate will go down because people won’t have to rob, steal, and sell drugs to support themselves and their habits. By learning how to help the homeless I can help create a positive environment for all people to live in. Instead of have a negative opinion towards the homeless, I can work on making a difference in someone’s life.  
  

References

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children    and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.
   Garris Christian, L. (2006). Understanding families: Applying family systems theory to    early childhood practice. Young Children, 61(1), 12–20.
Gorski, P. (2008). The myth of the "culture of poverty." Educational Leadership, 65(7),    32--36. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Academic Search Complete    database:
Titchkosky, T. (2009). Disability images and the art of theorizing normality.    International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education (QSE), 22(1), 75--84.    doi:10.1080/09518390802581893.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty Tammy - we all have grown and have become aware of our biases. Like you, this course has been helpful in teaching me that one must "read the book" before making any judgments.

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy
    I like to thank you for this very emotional reflection of your feeling and beliefs of homelessness. I know is this not easy to see family member turn down the wrong road. It is not easy to know that someone you love is in damage every day because of the choices they make. I know this is not easy to except and to see other homeless people and judge them by your brothers’ action. We all take live and by putting a face on it and this being so close to home can make your feel this strong. I have not realize it until you talked about how you judged other that are homeless because of your brother being on drug and not giving them food. I have did this many time myself. A homeless man was standing on the corner and asked me for food I went to Wendy and bought him as something to eat and took it back to the store and gave it to him. The same thought went thought my mind I can help you with food but I do not feel good if my money is use to buy drug. I am the same way with my children if they want to smoke they have to buy their own I will not help you with at all.

    Luby, J., & Welch, J. (2006). Crisis fighting for hope for homeless people; Missed opportunities the case for investment in learning and skills for homeless people.(NAEYC) pp. 4-17.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    You definitely spoke from the heart. I am sorry that your brothers have chosen this sort of life and I know it breaks your heart. How will you demonstrate an anti-bias attitude toward children and families who are homeless because of drugs and alcohol? How will you separate family issues with professional issues?

    ReplyDelete