Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Early child development

  • Early childhood is the most important phase for overall development throughout the lifespan.
  • Brain and biological development during the first years of life is highly influenced by an infant’s environment.
  • Early experiences determine health, education and economic participation for the rest of life.
  • Every year, more than 200 million children under five years old fail to reach their full cognitive and social potential.
  • There are simple and effective ways for families and caregivers to ensure optimal child development.
To reach their potential, young children need to spend time in a caring, responsive environment that protects them from neglect and inappropriate disapproval and punishment.
Parents and families are the key to early child development, but need support to provide the right environment. Children benefit when national governments adopt “family friendly” social protection policies that guarantee adequate family income, maternity benefits, financial support, and allow for parents and caregivers to devote time and attention to young children. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs332/en/index.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, parents and families are important to children and their development. I am a single parent with two boys and my family lives more than 600 miles away. I try to visit my family as often as I can. It is very difficult, however, my children are thriving and only time will tell how good or bad our lives will development with minimum family interaction and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I couldn't agree more! That is why after this year I will be home with my OWN children. I don't mind our day care situation, but I feel like my kids could be getting a better experience at home with me. I cannot wait for this and think about this many times a day. Thanks for reaffirming my own thoughts! YEAH for moms! And families!

    ReplyDelete