Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Concerned Aunt

   I have a niece and a nephew that was diagnosed with autism when they were approximately five years old. They are currently seventeen and twenty-four. My husband and I were watching TV one night about fifteen years ago and we heard on the news about how pig secretion can help with Autism. Back then, I researched the information and I found this study that was conducted by the National Institute of Health and Human Development, it was titled, The use of Pig Secretion to Treat Autism, http://www.nichd.nih.gov/news/releases/secretin.cfm, retrieved on November 14, 2012. What they reported was that three children with autism spectrum disorders who under went upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and intravenous administration of secretin to stimulate pancreaticobiliary secretion. All three children increased pancreaticobiliary secretory response when compared with nonautistic patients. Within five weeks after the intravenous administration of the secretin, they show dramatic improvement in behavior, eye contact, alertness, and expansive expressive language. The clinical observations suggested an association between gastrointestinal and brain function in subjects that had autistic behavior.
   I did tell my sister-in-law about this study, but she never looked into it. I thought it was very interesting and I was in hope that she would keep an open mind. I never brought this topic up again because it is somewhat personal and their family’s business as to what they want to do or not want to do when it comes to their children. I just thought I would pass this on for “food for thought’. I also have included other websites I found interesting about this topic.

The Informed Parent

Secretin Trials: A drug that might help, or hurt, autism children is widely prescribed but is just now being tested.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/19475/title/Secretin-Trials--A-drug-that-might-help--or-hurt--autistic-children-is-widely-prescribed-but-is-just-now-being-tested/ 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Tammy!

    I enjoyed your post. I'm dealing with a parent who doesn't care to hear my concerns so I can relate to what you stated in your blog. I read your references and plans to use ideas that would help me with this child in my classroom. Thanks for listing them...

    ReplyDelete