Friday, November 9, 2012

My Topic

   The career path I have chosen is education. What I mean by this is not only to learn, but to teach. I have been working with students of all ages for about eight years to date. All of my students have different challenges in their lives such as culture, drugs, pregnancy, children, homeless and many more, this list goes on and on. I have already earned Maters in Adult Education and know I want to further my knowledge by obtaining an early childhood development degree. By doing this I will be able to further understand my students and help them with their individual needs. My ultimate goal is to gain the understanding of why so many kids “fall through the cracks”, and help prevent this from happening. I came to the realization that it starts from an early age, even before birth, and I wanted to learn all about how to help prevent any child from becoming an “at risk youth”.
   All kids have the capacity to succeed in school and in life. Yet far too many children fail to meet their true potential. Many students, especially those from poor and minority families, are placed at risk by school practices that sort some students into high-quality programs and other students into low-quality education the purpose of this research is to find out ways I can help kids before they reach this point. 

Topic
The “Nocebo Effect”
Subtopics

  1. Is there a link between the numbers of stressful events experienced during pregnancy and does this lead to increased, risk behavioral problems in children?
  2. Do birth complications contribute to violent behavior and potentially lead to violence?
  3. Can good nutrition and a loving environment help the fetus to develop their brain in a positive way?
   I have much to learn in the research process and this class has already helped me to understand the process, now all I have to do is apply it. I am open to any suggestions anyone has to offer me, thanks Tammy.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Tammy!

    Great topic and subtopics! The more I learn about Early Childhood, the more I realize the importance of prenatal care, good nutrition, and educating parents on what to expect when your little one arrives. Every child deserves the right to high-quality childcare, but this becomes difficult when you are lacking the resources, or financial support. Can't wait to hear more about your topic! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    You have chosen such interesting topic and subtopics! I am really intrigued to know about the potential effects of experiencing stressful events during pregnancy and whether they lead to behavioral problems in children and whether providing a nurturing environment and nutrition can revert the influence. I have an adopted child in my class whose birth mother had had a very stressful life during her pregnancy which gives me even more reasons to learn about this topic. I am looking forward to reading your posts.

    Regards,
    Maryam Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I was enlightened to read about your career path and vision to help "at-risk" youth. Your drive and passion can really make a difference to help teens make better decisions and lead a positive path. Thanks for sharing your passion and life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Tammy!

    Your choice was interesting.Keep up the great work and continue to guide our children in the right directions.

    ReplyDelete