Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Rainbow

Look at me, I’m black and beautiful.
Open your eyes you can see.
I also have a lot of brown pride.
It’s not hard to figure this out, it’s me.

Over and over again people say, “I’m white, that’s right.
Can’t you see all these things are true?
My eyes are shaped like an almond, and sometimes my skin is yellow.
And maybe just today, I’m a shade of blue.

I’ve been told, “Go home, we don’t want you here”!
But this is my home, can’t you see?
We can all live together.
We are all the same, under our skin, I won’t leave!

We are all born naked, with a brain.
Can’t you see, if we use our brain, it’s by choice?
We can live in ignorance or tolerance.
Just remember we all have a voice.

We will all leave this world the same way we came in.
Can’t you see it’s how we run life’s race?
In the end, it’s how we treat others.
Ask yourself, did I leave making this world a better place?

Today I’m a bright, glowing sun.
Can’t you see we are all brothers and sisters?
We are a rainbow of colors, purple, green and even red.
After all, we are human; we have no time for resisters.

4 comments:

  1. Nice poem Tammy - insightful, perceptive and sensitive. Thank you for sharing your writing talents with the class.
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,
    I loved your poem and the way you represented all different cultures. I always enjoyed writing poems myself.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy,
    What a beautiful all inclusive poem! You said we all came into this world the same way. Absolutely correct and we all know we must leave the same way. When we're out of this earthly body, what impact will we have left for this world? I want to make a difference and as an educator, I will make a difference. Good post!
    Yolonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tammy! I loved your poem! You are talented!! My favorite part of your poem was when you said "We all have a voice." I agree! It doesn't matter what color we are, we are all special and unique in our very own ways and we each have a voice and we should use it!! I love how you used descriptions of color to speak about diversity. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete