Wednesday, June 26, 2013

“Reach and Teach”

   As I worked my way through my courses taken through Walden University I have found my goals remain consistent. I found myself wanting the same things now as I did when I started my first course. My main goal is still the driving force to help young children to avoid the negative obstacles in their lives and not become at risk youth.
   In the readings of week two in my first course taken through Walden University there was an article, “Does Having Passion for your Work even Matter?” In this article the author, Rosengren, wrote about having a fire for what you do energizes you, and you can turn around and put that energy into your work. My hope is to keep this fire burning because if the fire burns out, so do I. This article is a constant reminder how important it is to take the passion you have for something and turn around and put it back into your work. Far too often I have worked with many teachers that have burn out. It shows in the way they teach, and in the way they handle the children. When this happens to a teacher it is time for them to seek a new career. They are no good to themselves and especially not to their students. This can make a child not even want to go to school, ever. This would be a good example of a negative in their lives. I think this is where I have the advantage, I have worked with many age groups throughout my career and this led me to the decision to want to pursue a career in early childhood development. The main driving force was working with the at risk youth for many years. It’s never too late or too early to help mold a student and be a positive role model in their lives. I have my own motto and that is, “You need to reach a student before you can teach a student”. I call this “Reach and Teach”.
   Preschool children are at critical age in their young developing lives. It is very valuable for us all the learn everything we can about child development, and to gain the knowledge to provide a warm, nurturing environment and teach age appropriate curriculum. I applaud all of the students in the Walden University Child Development program for taking the first step in gaining the knowledge needed for helping all young children to develop. Never lose the passion and yearning to be a child advocate. “Keep on teaching”.

References
Rosengren, C. (2010, February 4). Does having passion for your work even matter? U.S.    News & World Report. Retrieved January 14, 2012, from    http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2010/02/04/does-   passion-for-work-even-matter

1 comment:

  1. Tammy,
    I also applaud our colleagues for taking the steps to learn about child development in their early years. It is crucial that we as professionals enter this field with a data base of knowledge on this subject matter. I have learned so much! My wish for professionals in this field is that they obtain as much information that would drive their passion for our children. I wish that we all at some level will become child advocates in the early childhood education field. Best Wishes!
    Yolonda S. Honore’

    ReplyDelete