Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Exchanging Thoughts and Ideas

I have decided to communicate through other Blogs, it was very hard getting someone to respond to me from other countries and it seems everyone has a blog. I can communicate with many people via Blog, and from many different countries. We all have a common goal and that is the children.

Contact 1. http://blogs.worldbank.org/education/blogs/emiliana-vegas

Emiliana Vegas's blog

Should developing countries shift from focusing on improving schools to improving parents?

Submitted by Emiliana Vegas on Thu, 2011-12-08 19:34
I travel to many developing countries in the context of my work for The World Bank. I visit schools that receive financial support and technical assistance from the Bank to improve the learning experiences and outcomes of students. Each time, I ask teachers in these schools what they think would make the biggest difference in the learning outcomes of their students. The most common answer is “better parents.” I often wonder if this response is, in some conscious or unconscious way, an excuse to help teachers explain the poor outcomes of their students (especially those from the poorest households) and their low expectations of what their students can achieve. However, both common sense and solid research indicate that parents matter.


Reply: I also think that if education was more accessible and affordable to adults it might make a difference in their children’s lives. I am 43 years of age, the youngest of ten and the only girl. I am the youngest of all my cousins too. I am the only one in my family that had graduated from college; this is a very sad situation. I am currently working on my Master’s in Early Childhood Studies, this is a topic that is very important to me, and we are educating the future of our existence. Education has not been easy and I have many student loans, however, I will continue to be a positive role model in a world full of negatives. It is very easy to blame parents, but we have to take into consideration the community as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment